screen-devel

Re: [screen-devel] alias support for GNU Screen

From: Sadrul Habib Chowdhury
Subject: Re: [screen-devel] alias support for GNU Screen
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 21:06:13 -0400

* Steve Kemp had this to say on [20 Oct 2008, 23:20:58 +0100]:
> On Sun Oct 19, 2008 at 19:42:34 -0400, Sadrul Habib Chowdhury wrote:
>
> > I haven't had a chance to try out the patch yet.

Hi. I tried your patch tonight, and have made some changes. The patchset
is here: http://www.pidgin.im/~sadrul/pp/screen-alias/. 0001 is your
patch (after some whitespace changes), 0002 fixes a crash from
unaliasing, and 0003 changes some of how the aliasing works.

>   I did have some changes to RC_BIND to allow you to run:
>
>     bind x alias_name
>
>   Unfortunately that eventually causes problems, because SaveAction
>  keeps pointers to my linked-list which get juggled around when aliases
>  are added or removed.
>
>   For the moment I've reverted that, which means I have to use this
>  form:
>
>     alias www screen -F -t www links
>     bind W eval www
>
>   That's not ideal, but I can live with it if I must.
>
>   I suspect a similar issue is going to bite me if I allow aliases to
>  be defined which point to other aliases.  This should be fine:
>
>     alias blah echo  -> Allowed currently
>     alias foo  blah  -> Not currently allowed, not hard to add.

With 0003, both creating binding for aliases, and setting aliases for
aliases are possible.

On a different note, this kind of work would be much easier to
coordinate for everyone if we used git branches. Does anyone know if
Savannah allows us to use more than one branch? (I can't think of a
reason why they wouldn't)

Cheers,
Sadrul