[Savannah-register-public] [task #14403] Submission of Guile-CV

From: Assaf Gordon
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #14403] Submission of Guile-CV
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2017 13:24:34 -0400 (EDT)

Hello David,

Until Guile-CV is accepted as an official gnu program, I'm evaluating it
as non-gnu, according to our (savannah admins') guidelines.

I'm basing my comments on this version:
http://download.savannah.nongnu.org/releases/grip/guile-cv/guile-cv-0.1.3.1.tar.gz

Please also see the automated report at:
https://gnueval.housegordon.org/show/247

1.
There are several binary image files in ./doc/images/ .
Please specify copyright and license information for these files,
and origin if you did not create them.

For example, ./doc/images/gnu.png is the
levitating,meditating gnu from https://www.gnu.org/graphics/meditate.html

Add this information to the README or LICENSE file.
If possible, also embed it as metadata in the files themselves.

2.
For non-gnu programs it is acceptable to have indirect licenses (such as "see
file X for license information"),
but it is highly discouraged (for gnu programs I'm not sure it's OK, but I'm
not in the GNU evaluation team).

I recommend adding explicit license information to all texi files in the
./doc/ directory.
For example, see the individual texi files in gnulib:
  https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnulib.git/tree/doc
  https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnulib.git/tree/doc/c-strtod.texi

Most of them have a copyright and license as a texinfo comment:
  @c Copyright (C) 2008-2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
  @c Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document
  @c under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.3 or
  @c any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no
  @c Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover
  @c Texts.  A copy of the license is included in the ``GNU Free
  @c Documentation License'' file as part of this distribution.

Note these are not a texinfo "@copyright{}" command - that command is
to render a copyright notice in the output file.
These comments are meant to be seen be other developers who can use your
files.

3.
To make evaluation quicker and easier, it is recommended to use the canonical
form
for copyright notices:
   Copyright (C) YEAR, YEAR, YEAR-YEAR  AUTHOR (email)
It is acceptable to make variations (e.g. the author/email on the next line,
and spaces between the dash character in 'YEAR - YEAR') -
but it just makes evaluation harder.
You'll notice that most GNU packages do follow this form closely.
It is recommended to adjust the files in the project to use this canonical
form.

Note that there's an additional requirement for official GNU packages
to mention in the README if copyright years use ranges (e.g. YEAR-YEAR).
See here:
  https://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/Copyright-Notices.html

----

Please address item #1. Items #2 and #3 are optional (but highly
recommended).

Please upload a new archive to savannah with these issues amended to continue
with the evaluation.

regards,
 - asssaf