[Savannah-register-public] Re: Fwd: [task #7293] Submission of PKP (Pop

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] Re: Fwd: [task #7293] Submission of PKP (Pop Killer Portal)
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 22:17:04 +0200

On Fri, Sep 28, 2007 at 09:33:03PM +0300, Alexander Shulgin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Apart from the items listed below I see no problem with approving this
> project:
>
> The file  layout/blue/html.php  is missing copyright and license
> notices.  May be the file is generated, however, I should clarify it
> with the OP.

OK.
(what is OP?)

> The project uses and distributes FCKeditor software
> (http://www.fckeditor.net/).  While it is available under GNU LGPL,
> the site is also providing a 'commercial' license
> (http://www.fckeditor.net/license/commercial), which renders named
> piece of software 'semi-free' in my opinion.
>
> Shall we accept such dependency?  Could it be considered analogous to
> using Qt, for instance?  I can see we host some Qt/KDE projects at
> Savannah already...

MySQL also comes to mind. We don't have a problem with such
dependencies: they can be used freely. They can also be used by
proprietary developers (if they pay), but in that regard, that's not
much different from the modified BSD license, is it?

So no problem with FCKeditor IMHO.

Cheers,

--
Sylvain