Re: Please make a repo for the GNU C Manual

From: Ineiev
Subject: Re: Please make a repo for the GNU C Manual
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 08:22:23 +0000

On Sun, Apr 17, 2022 at 10:41:16PM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:

> Please make a repo for the GNU C Manual I have written.
> It is still unpublished; I would like to publish it there.
>
> I prefer CVS, but I suppose people will be happier if it uses git.
> WDYT?

Savannah already hosts an official GNU package named GNU C Reference
Manual, it uses CVS (the latest commit was 5 years ago).

https://savannah.gnu.org/p/gnu-c-manual

Is it something completely different?

> Do you have a way to take a bunch of backup versions from Emacs editing
> and convert them into revisions in the repo?

For a single file $f, something like this may work,

    cvs update $f
    ls $f.~*~ | sed "s,^$f\.~,,;s,~$,," | sort -n | while read no; do
        cp $f.~$no~ $f; cvs commit -m 'Emacs editing revision '$no $f
    done

In order to avoid entering your SSH password on every cvs commit, you
can load it to ssh-agent with the ssh-add command.

It will be harder if you need multiple files in a single commit
or if you want meaningful CVS log messages.