Re: Subprojects in Savannah

From: Christopher Dimech
Subject: Re: Subprojects in Savannah
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2020 14:25:24 +0100

> Sent: Monday, November 30, 2020 at 1:33 PM
> From: "Luis Falcon" <falcon@gnuhealth.org>
> To: "Ian Kelling" <iank@fsf.org>
> Cc: savannah-hackers@gnu.org, bob@proulx.com
> Subject: Re: Subprojects in Savannah
>
> Hello, Ian
>
> This usually happens... instead of moving forward, we get a
> repertoire of defensive arguments that takes us nowhere in facing and
> tackling the real problems at GNU.org .

I can confirm that this is a recurring theme with regard to multiple Gnu
packages (not just savannah).  Somehow we got to turn things around.
Although I am seeing some of that happening, there ought to be a concerted
effort by those whose job it is to community direction over the long term.

> First of all, GNU.org is NOT and cannot be the FSF backyard, and should
> not be controlled by the FSF. I don't care if you are an FSF sysadmin.
> That job does not give you a higher position of ownership or control to
> GNU resources.
>
> Whether you like it or not, GNU belongs to the GNU community, it belongs
> to all of us, an international, diverse community. So yes,any time I
> talk about GNU resources, I am very proud to say "our" resources.
>
> Second, I will complain anytime, anywhere and about anything I consider
> necessary, and it will not be you who will restrain my right to do so.
>
> Third and last, I think the GNU Ethical Repository Criteria
> Evaluations[1] need to be updated. For instance, Gitlab has a C
> (approved), and it seems like it denies access to Cuba and other
> countries[2].

Am not going to argue about the part above, but there are times where
we should simply listen to what others keep telling us.  But I know
that he is focused and we have to open up a new window, a new door
to something else, even if painful.

That's all I got to say about that.

Regards
Christopher