Re: Subprojects in Savannah

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Subprojects in Savannah
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2020 04:17:00 -0500

I'm going to truncate my reply quite heavily, since many points are
either tangential to the problem at hand, or not pertinent to solving
it.

   I could have created the repositories myself in 5 minutes, as I did
   in OSDN, if I had access to that resource. We need to be in full
   control of our resources.

We are, as a project.  Just not as individuals -- since the GNU
project is bigger than that.  The Savannah hackers are the ones
working on Savannah, just like you are working on GNU Health.

Volunteer work means we do things when we have time.  Savannah is done
entierly based on volunteer efforts of hackers, some have more time,
some have less.  But there is no commitment from anyone that they must
do anything.  This is the case for the whole GNU project -- things
will simply not get done if someone doesn't put their backs into it.
This year has also been far stranger than usual, with all it entails..

The FSF sysadmins are not responsible in setting up Savannah projects.
They are responsible for seeing that our hardware runs, and is
accessible.  The Savannah hackers work on the overall infrasturcture
for Savannah.

This is not an excuse, it is matter of life.  And while I think we all
would like to see more Savannah hackers, it is what it is and will
take more effort from everyone in understanding the limitations and
problems we experience.

   > I suggest that GNU health moves back to savannah, it isn't too late to
   > do this.

   GNU Health is still in Savannah. Mailing lists, bugs, tasks, news, file
   releases are in place and operational.

But the source code is not hosted there, lets try and work that out.
You are still open to that, which is great news, so lets put our
concentrated efforts on trying to solve that.

I think the important question is if creating a sub-directory in a hg
repository directory would work?

Savannah hackers, what needs to be done to host GNU Health's
requirements on Savannah?  Luis, can you get back Bob Prolux about his
questions about mercurial?  I don't think he is an expert in hg so
would need some help in answering those questions.