[savannah-help-public] Introduction

From: Chris Hofstader
Subject: [savannah-help-public] Introduction
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2015 08:07:22 -0400

Hi,

I’m Chris Hofstader, the former Director of Access Technology for FSF (a role in which I failed miserably for reasons far beyond the control of either FSF or me). These days, I’m the Managing Member of a little worker’s cooperative called 3 Mouse Technology. 3MT is small group that sells contract services helping primarily web developers make their work more accessible to people with disabilities.

The other day, rms asked me if I could take a look at the Savannah site and report any accessibility problems we encounter. Yesterday, a couple of our folks, top accessibility experts both, started this process. As we’re working as volunteers on this effort, we won’t have much time to make our reports pretty and professional but we’ll try to get you guys as many actionable reports as we can. From our very initial look, the site is looking pretty good as regards basic accessibility but this assessment results from a very quick review done in about ten minutes each by two individuals.

I will send along our reports “unfiltered” so they may contain prose about crap entirely unrelated to your project that can be ignored. I honestly just don’t have the time to do much editing this month.

If you have questions about the emails I forward here, please make sure you CC me so I can make sure you get an answer in a reasonable amount of time. As the gang is working as volunteers, they will be primarily focussed on their income generating work and helping out savannah as a sideline so, while we’ll get your questions answered, I’m not sure how promptly our responses will get back to you. Quite unfortunately, I’m almost purely a manager and don’t understand the technology well enough to provide much feedback myself and may not understand many of the details included in the reports our gang sends along but I’ll help make sure you guys get the bug reports and, when time permits, remediation suggestions as well.

Happy Hacking,
cdh