[Savannah-help-public] Re: [gnu.org #419598] Numdiff project: from GPLv2

From: Karl Berry
Subject: [Savannah-help-public] Re: [gnu.org #419598] Numdiff project: from GPLv2 to GPLv3
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 17:28:23 -0500

Hi Ivano,

    My name is Ivano Primi, I am the developer of the Numdiff project (see
    www.nongnu.org/numdiff).

Neat.  As you may have seen, it was just being discussed on
bug-gnu-utils recently.  Would you like to make it an official GNU package?
If so, please see http://gnu.org/help/evaluation.html.

    I would like to upgrade to the version 3, but I do not know if it is

As long as all the pieces you are using were released under GPLv2 *or
later* (= GPLv2+ for short), you can do so, since the "or later" gives
permission.

And for the pieces you are using from other GNU packages, they should all
be under GPLv2+.  That doesn't mean you have to (or should) actually
change the "2"s to "3"s in the files, incidentally, since that would
make future updates much more complicated.

Best,
Karl