[Savannah-help-public] [sr #104959] Repositories inaccessible from behin

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: [Savannah-help-public] [sr #104959] Repositories inaccessible from behind the proxy.
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 10:16:40 +0100

Update of sr #104959 (project administration):

> spammed, I would be able to rectify the error and
> repeat it.

Seeing this, I just sent a reply to gnu-prog to apoligize to you and the
others; the Savane spammer is somebody else, happening to post on the same
kind of issue. I apologize to you again here and hope you'll forgive me.

> I just thought that some of my fellow maintainers
> might have faced the same problem, and would thus
> be able to help me out. Being a new maintainer, I
> was of the view that address@hidden would also be
> an apt place. But my apologies for having caused any
> inconvenience, which is deeply regretted.

Hmm, I still think this issue needs to be posted to the Savannah team; I
happen to be a GNU maintainer but failing that, I wouldn't know if the FAQ
works for everybody. I'm not sure cross-posting to gnu-prog and mentors is a
good thing, but I'm no export here.

I did test it though, reproducing a hostile network environment with 2
computers and an internet access.

> I was trying to perform a member access for my
> project- GNU Songanizer. To be more precise,
> I was trying to upload the web pages for my
> project's home page.

Ok, that should work indeed.

> I got hold of connect.c from the location given in
> the FAQ, compiled and put it in /usr/local/bin.
> chmoded it to 755 to give it execute permissions.
> Then I wrote the following lines to ~/.ssh/config:
> Host cvs.savannah.gnu.org
>                 ProxyCommand connect -H
>                   http://172.16.20.2:3128 %h %p
>
> because my proxy's IP is 172.16.20.2 and as it is
> SQUID the port we use is 3128.
>
> I then created a sshwrapper (/usr/local/bin/sshwrapper)
> containing the following:
> #! /bin/sh
> exec ssh -p 443 $*
> and set CVS_RSH to /usr/local/bin/sshwrapper
>
> However $cvs -z3
> -d:ext:address@hidden/sources/songanizer co songanizer
> now gives the following:
> sh: -c: line 1: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `"'
> sh: -c: line 2: syntax error: unexpected end of file
> FATAL: Cannot decide password for proxy
> authentication.ssh_exchange_identification: Connection
> closed by remote host
> cvs [checkout aborted]: end of file from server (consult
> above messages if any)

The "sh:" lines are no good. This means there is a typo in either
~/.ssh/config or in sshwrapper.

Can you post them here verbatim?

I see that if you copy paste my explanation the "$*" part gets removed, but
that gives another error, so that's not the cause of the problem.

> I separately tried $connect -H 172.16.20.2:3128
> cvs.savannah.gnu.org/web/songanizer 443, but it gave
> the following:
> FATAL: failed to begin relaying via HTTP.

You need to remove the CVS repository path from the hostname:
connect -H 172.16.20.2:3128 cvs.savannah.gnu.org 443

> Before the above thing, I had tried using Tor, and
> privoxy too.
> However that too did not work out. I will give you
> the details in a subsequent mail.
>
> It would be great if you could help me out.
>
> Thanks a lot...

This would be interesting, yes. As I said I tested using Tor, it should also
work.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/support/?func=detailitem&item_id=104959>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/