[Savannah-hackers] Re: [Savane-dev] Re: Update of the project approval p

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: [Savane-dev] Re: Update of the project approval process
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 09:32:31 +0100

Hi,

Sorry for the delay, I'm a bit backloged at the moment.

[Re: approval process through trackers]

> > Would it be possible to get an option to still send the standard
> > notification to the admin mailing list? Using the tracker for
> > submissions _replies_ just don't suit my needs, and I think those of
> > other Savannah hackers.
>
> No. I do not think keeping duplicate tools inside the code is
> something to do. It is just the contrary of the whole spirit of
> Savane, which is removing duplicated stuff.
> Project approval is a task, there is no reason to use something else
> than the task tracker to track it.
>
> > While using a tracker addresses some issues we currently have to deal
> > with manually at Savannah - by maintaining a list of who's working on
> > what - using the tracker's text editor is a serious drawback IMHO.
>
> 1. Nobody is forced to send mail via the tracker.

That was my concern, and that's why I asked for standard
_notification_ as well (I didn't want to keep the old pending projects
page, for example).

Well, if it is possible to easily or automatically convert the tracker
notification to something looking like the old notification I guess
there is no problem.

> 2. There is no point in providing trackers with Savane if we consider
> these trackers not good enough for our usage. Not using Savane is a
> way to be able to get rid of limited text editor provided by web
> interface. But that's a not a way Savane can promote. The only way,
> which is coherent and goes in the direction of a real progress, to
> allow users to use their mailer avec interface is to implement the
> mail interface to trackers.
>
> The localadmin support request are already managed via the support
> tracker. It is perfectly comparable.

I do think answering approvals requires a somewhat more complex text
editing, but anyway, the mail interface would be good indeed.

Since you are talking about duplicating features, I wonder: why you
put so much time into the tracker, while we could try to make tight
bindings with an existing tracker, that among others already have the
mail interface feature? Is there a specific reason for this?

--
Sylvain
PS: we never received your reply at address@hidden Any