Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Allowing git repos to automatically push t

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Allowing git repos to automatically push to gnu.org/software/$PROJECT
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2021 17:32:35 -0600

Hi Daniel,

Daniel Katz wrote:
> I'm currently a FSF tech intern.

I don't see an account for you on Savannah.  Please register an
account on Savannah.  Then please upload both an ssh rsa key and a gpg
key.

At this moment please use either an ssh rsa key or both an ssh rsa key
*and* an ssh ed25519 key.  Not everything fully supports ed25519 yet.

> My next project is likely going to be allowing the sub pages of
> gnu.org/software/ to be updated from a Git repo. Savannah has
> web.cvs.savannah.gnu.org/ for this functionality right now, but only
> from CVS based repos. How would Savannah maintainers set up
> something similar for Git?

I would start by adding a selectable feature to the web UI.  It should
allow selecting from the available list of supported version control
systems to include cvs, git, hg, svn.  The associated database table
will need to be altered to hold this new data.

https://git.savannah.nongnu.org/cgit/administration/savane.git/tree/frontend/php/project/admin/editgroupfeatures.php

Then the processes that create repositories will need to be updated to
recognize this new data field and to create the appropriate new
repository based upon the selection.

Then the process that configures the hook scripts will need to be
updated for the same so that the hook scripts are updated
appropriately to communicate to wildebeest's receiving end to update
from the correct vcs system.

> I was thinking something similar to
> what's in place for CVS (web.git.savannah.gnu.org), or each GNU
> project having a second repo with /web appended to the name where
> the files would be kept.

I worry about namespaces.  There might be (I didn't look and don't
know) projects with a web sub project already.  Or there might be a
project with such in the future.  This seems to be eating part of the
namespace that would be better to not consume.

But perhaps this could be just another selectable feature.  Then it
could either be namespaced inside the project's git namespace.  Or it
could be separate from it.  For git there is that choice.

For the other version control systems there isn't the concept of a
sub-repository.  Therefore it will need to be available in a separate
namespace for them.

[[ I somewhat recall that we worked through the details for hg sometime
back but would need to find the communications on it in order to
refresh my memory of the state of things there.  I don't use hg myself
and therefore don't really know how to drive it. ]]

Bob