Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Truncated tarball from git.savannah.gnu.or

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Truncated tarball from git.savannah.gnu.org
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2017 21:59:03 +0200

> From: James Cloos <address@hidden>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
> Copyright: Copyright 2016 James Cloos
> Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2017 14:20:40 -0500
>
> It looks like there is a 60 second limit.
>
> And the transmission is unnaturally slow.  My test averaged only 154KB/s
> even though I ran it on a machine in a very well connected data center
> near Boston which supports more than 1G incoming bandwidth.

I think the tarball is produced on the fly, so it isn't the bandwidth
that limits the speed, it's the CPU processing resources needed to
xz-compress the files.  Try the same with .tar.gz, and you will see
quite a different speed.

> The 60s limit needs to be much longer; I doubt that it should be any
> less than ten minutes.

No, I think 3 min should be enough.  But I don't really understand why
there has to be a limit.