Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] OpenSSL License

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] OpenSSL License
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 21:11:37 GMT

    a new project has been submit

Please give the url to the task for it.

    licensed under the OpenSSL license.

I am not sure if it has come up in the past.  Joan or anyone, can you
do some searching in the savannah mailing list archives and see if you
can come up with anything?

Barring some precedent, because quite a few GNU packages (can) use
OpenSSL, for this one particular case, I am inclined to allow it, *if
and only if* they put the standard openssl exception text into their
sources.  I'll append that, from the GNU wget sources.

If they are using GPLv2+ rather than GPLv3+, they'll have to get the
exception text from an old version of wget, I don't have it at hand.
Oh, except I think I just found it at
https://people.gnome.org/~markmc/openssl-and-the-gpl.html.

What do others think?  If there are no objections, we should probably
discuss this on various pages and add GPL+OpenSSL exception to the
acceptable-license dropdown on the registration page.

    Is it permissible to approve a project which depends on a copyleft
    but GPL-incompatible license?

In general, no; all licensing is supposed to be GPL-compatible.  But
OpenSSL has a special historical position.

Thanks,
karl
Additional permission under GNU GPL version 3 section 7

If you modify this program, or any covered work, by linking or
combining it with the OpenSSL project's OpenSSL library (or a
modified version of that library), containing parts covered by the
terms of the OpenSSL or SSLeay licenses, the Free Software Foundation
grants you additional permission to convey the resulting work.
Corresponding Source for a non-source form of such a combination
shall include the source code for the parts of OpenSSL used as well
as that of the covered work.