Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] ikiwiki on savannah

From: Aljosha Papsch
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] ikiwiki on savannah
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 20:12:22 +0200

Am Montag, den 19.08.2013, 08:12 -0600 schrieb Bob Proulx:

> Yes.  There is a Debian package for ikiwiki.  I haven't yet gone
> through a complete installation and use of ikiwiki anywhere yet
> though.  Therefore I am still missing some knowledge myself about how
> ikiwiki works.  Since ikiwiki is a wiki compiler it isn't quite as
> simple as doing an apt-get install ikiwki and having that be enough.
> I think if I had installed it elsewhere already then I would know the
> details well enough to proceed.  I think that for someone
> knowledgeable in it that it really is as simple as installing the
> package and then pointing Apache to it.

[...]

> > I don't have much Debian experience.  Help?
>
> I don't see ikiwiki setup being Debian specific.  I just haven't
> installed and configured ikiwiki myself.  For me I need to install it
> someplace in a scratch area and try it before doing it on the
> production Savannah.
>
> Has anyone on the list set up ikiwiki before?  Can I get a tutorial?
> I have test servers available to play with so that we can work through
> the issues.  Otherwise I will plan on setting up a victim test
> installation where folks here can play with it and then we will all
> "learn through it" together.

Hi,

After the little discussion a few months back, I experimented a little
with ikiwiki
(https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/savannah-hackers-public/2013-03/msg00049.html):

The basic setup (which involves installing the package and running
ikiwiki --setup) makes four directories / files (where <name> is the
wiki name):
1. The repository (in ~/<name>.git) - this needs to be moved wherever we
want it (remote or not). It is the "master" repository, which people
would want to check out.
2. The generated web pages (in ~/public_html/<name>) - this needs to be
moved in the web server's directory.
3. A checked out repository (in ~/<name>) - this is needed for web
editing. Basically, the frontend CGI script writes the changes in this
repository, and commits and pushes it to the master repository (which in
turn pings the CGI script to update the web pages).
4. <name>.setup - this file holds the configuration of the wiki. It
needs to be kept somewhere to be able to make changes. Once a change is
made, `ikiwiki --setup <setupfile>' needs to be run. If one of of the
three directories is moved, the location needs to be changed in the
setup file as well.

http://ikiwiki.info/setup/#index6h2 explains changing the locations
pretty well. For our case, where the "master" git is somewhere remote,
this explains it well which config files one needs to edit:
http://ikiwiki.info/tips/Hosting_Ikiwiki_and_master_git_repository_on_different_machines/

Apart from moving directories around and editing the config files, we
would also have to set up CGI in Apache (if it's not already done).
If you don't want to move directories around, ikiwiki also has some
command line options, with which you can specify the directories.

Best regards.