Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] volunteering

From: Michael J. Flickinger
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] volunteering
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 17:51:26 -0500

Hi,

Thanks for your interesting in helping out. :)

On 1/28/12 6:53 AM, Brandon Invergo wrote:
Hello Savannah Hackers,

I've been wanting to help out with the GNU project for a while now but
I've been unsure of where to help. I assume that Savannah still needs
help, despite the resurrection back in November. Of course, I understand
that this would mostly entail reviewing project submissions, so, as
instructed, I've included what my response to a submission (#11765
CDEsql) below.

The review looks fine. For future reference, we have two scripts to assist with project review "response crafting."

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/administration.git/tree/approvals

One for emacs and one for vim.

However, what I would be more interested in doing, if you guys approve,
would be to help clean out old, inactive things. In particular, the Help
Wanted area has posts going back a decade. I think it's safe to assume
that many of those requests may be considered closed and removed at this
point. Another, possibly touchier subject, would be to flag old,
inactive and incomplete projects for removal. For both cases, I've
written a suggested protocol below.

Let's focus on the help wanted area. There's already a support request, https://savannah.gnu.org/support/?106581, which we can use to discuss the issue (feel free to post your ideas there).

I agree, having open "help wanted" items from 2001 just isn't helpful.

This isn't so much about space, which I'm sure isn't a huge problem.
It's that, for me, as a visitor to Savannah, when I saw the Help Wanted
area full of old posts and many of the projects apparently abandoned, it
made the site feel a bit stale or inactive. I think cleaning out some of
the cobwebs wouldn't hurt...

This would require a lot more care and attention. First of all, only
projects which have been inactive for at least X years (3? 5?) would be
considered. In all cases, the project would not be immediately deleted.
Instead, it would be flagged for review by another admin, and then we
would attempt to contact the project owner to verify that the project is
abandoned. It's important not to be overly zealous with this since even
inactive projects can be of value to people starting new projects.

Some rules for deciding to flag a project for removal (again, only after
it's been inactive for X years):
- no source code has been uploaded
- it's determined that project activity is occurring on a different
hosting service
- development status<  2(?)

That's an interesting idea. Some projects only use Savannah for webhosting though, so they have no uploaded code. I think it's better to focus on cleaning up the old "help wanted" posts first.

What's your username on Savannah, is it brandon?