Re: Discussion about file format for the future

From: Robert Nichols
Subject: Re: Discussion about file format for the future
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2020 08:21:42 -0500

On 6/5/20 4:44 PM, Arrigo Marchiori wrote:
If we were going to substitute a lot of files with a single file (that
is what a SQLite database is in the end, right?) then we may somehow
introduce a "single point of failure" for the whole backup.

The rdiff-backup archive structure is already a rather fragile ad-hoc
database with single points of failure. If you lose the current
mirror_metadata file, the entire history is unrecoverable and you
are left with just the current mirror and whatever file attributes
are compatible with the filesystem of the archive.

                Do NOT delete it.