Re: Obsolescence Python 3.5 support plan

From: Frank Crawford
Subject: Re: Obsolescence Python 3.5 support plan
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2020 22:07:19 +1000

On Thu, 2020-06-04 at 09:44 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
> EricZolf <
> ewl+rdiffbackup@lavar.de
> > writes:
>
> [snip]
> > Any comments on those plans?
>
> So long as there isn't a client-server wire-format incompatiblity
> with
> older 2.x versions, I don't care!  (I want to ensure we never make
> that
> same mistake again of a wire incompatibility due to a change in
> underlying tooling).

And the only way to do that is to move to your own protocol over the
wire instead of using something that is tied to low-level python primitives.

Saying that, doubt that pickles will cause issues in the near future,
and so it is more likely to break due to change in function names
within rdiff-backup.

> > KR, Eric
>
> -derek

Regards