Re: Backward compatibility of next beta

From: Derek Atkins
Subject: Re: Backward compatibility of next beta
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2020 10:28:14 -0500

On Thu, January 30, 2020 10:12 am, Reio Remma wrote:
> On 30/01/2020 17:01, Derek Atkins wrote:
>>
>> I've got a dozen machines of various vintages that I'm trying to backup
>> from a centralized backup server.  Not all of those machines support
>> Python 3, and it's quite possible that, down the road, some may support
>> Python 3 but not Python 2.  I absolutely, cannot guarantee that both
>> ends can always run the same version of rdiff-backup, and frankly I
>> shouldn't have to.
>

> Shouldn't it be possible to run multiple versions on the backup machine?
>
> iirc I had both Python 2 and 3 versions installed on a CentOS 7 machine
> at one point.

Arguably yes, this would work, but it would IMHO require that the backup
server have software that automatically detected the correct remote
version and ran the appropriate frontend.  I would be okay with that
solution for now, provided it was part of the 2.0 package (and that the
packaging is such that 1.2.8 and 2.0 can co-exist on the backup server
easily).

> Good luck,
> Reio

-derek

--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
       address@hidden             www.ihtfp.com