Backward compatibility of next beta

From: Arrigo Marchiori
Subject: Backward compatibility of next beta
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2020 11:23:05 +0100

Dear All,

I cannot recall from my archives, if the upcoming beta of rdiff-backup
will claim to be compatible with previous versions.

What is the plan?

 1- to be compatible with rdiff-backup-1.2.8 ?
 2- to be compatible with rdiff-backup-1.3.3 ?
 3- none of the above?

To make my question more clear: if the beta is ``compatible'' then I
could use it on the _same_ source and destination directories on which
I have used the previous version for years. If it is not compatible, I
should start a ``new backup history'' into another destination
directory.

The FAQ states that compatibility is not assured, but Eric's message
from October 2019 [1] seems to suggest that it should work.

I would like to have an explicit statement from the developers before
setting up my own beta testing.

Thank you in advance!