Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Is rdiff-backup outdated?

From: Edward Ned Harvey (rdiff-backup)
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Is rdiff-backup outdated?
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 21:04:28 +0000

> From: rdiff-backup-users-bounces+rdiff-
> address@hidden [mailto:rdiff-backup-users-
> address@hidden On Behalf Of Ans
> Alghamdi
>
> I just find it a bit odd that this powerful tool does not have any bug fix (if
> there are any) since 2009!
>
> So is it outdated, or its so powerful that there is no need for any update?
>
> I've already posted this quastion on serverfault at:
>
> http://serverfault.com/questions/507259/is-rdiff-backup-outdated?
>
> (P.S. The reason behind this is that I'm looking for a backup tool.
> rdiff-backup
> really suits my needs but the lack of bug fixes/active development is what is
> keeping me away)

This is a really good question, and right now, I can't provide a simple answer.
 For the last ~3 years, it has been unmaintained.  I just became the new
maintainer, but I haven't done anything yet except fix broken links on the
webpage and start reading the code.  I have at least some vague plans to revive
maintenance with other people, but like everyone else, I'm a volunteer with
non-infinite time, and it's yet to be seen how much contribution we'll actually
gain here.

I can say this much:  I've spoken with lots and lots of IT people out there,
who swear by rdiff-backup, rsnapshot, and rsync.  There certainly do exist
bugs, as is also true for everything else.  But the anecdotal evidence is very
high, that it's still a reliable product.

I guess I'll have to go post the same answer on that serverfault page.   ;-)