Re: [rdiff-backup-users] [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/home/username/.

From: Andreas Herrmann
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/home/username/.gvfs'
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 11:39:08 +0200

On Mon, 2011-05-16 at 10:01 +0100, Dominic Raferd wrote:
> > Fuse limits access to its mounts to the exact
> > user who fuse-mounted it. Not even root is allowed access or even stat
> > such files.
>
> You can widen fuse access by putting 'user_allow_other' in
> /etc/fuse.conf and using '-o allow_other' (or equivalent, this is for
> sshfs) for the fuse filesystem mount command.
Thanks, that's good to know.
There is a fuse-fs for browsing rdiff-backup repositories [1].
Passing options to fuse is going to be enabled in the next release. With
allow_user set I should be able to mount my config backup as root, but
browse it as a user.

There's also a nice way to automatically exclude filesystems that do not
correspond to block devices listed in /dev. E.g. proc, tmpfs, but also
fuse.

Haven't tried it yet, but this should work:
  rdiff-backup --exclude-filelist <(grep -v '\(^/dev/\|^rootfs\)' /proc/mounts
| cut -d \  -f 2 | uniq) \
    <other options>

Best, Andreas

[1] http://code.google.com/p/rdiff-backup-fs/