Re[2]: [rdiff-backup-users] Verify times increasing

From: listserv . traffic
Subject: Re[2]: [rdiff-backup-users] Verify times increasing
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 21:35:12 -0800

I know Matt corrected this post, but I wanted to address this:

---
If you do a --verify-at-time xyz where xyz is your oldest backup, it
should verify all files in that backup - so every delta should be
applied. This should verify that all delta's (backups) are good and
functioning.

[In short, it "verifies" that for each file for which a successful
verify is returned, that the most current file, all applicable delta's and
meta-data
are good and functioning properly.]

---
However, if files were added after the initial backup, I'd guess that
a verify won't check the delta's for those files - since they don't
exist in the set at time xyz

So, while a verify to your oldest backup is good, it's not
comprehensive for all files that have deltas+meta-data.

---
I'm not aware, so if I'm wrong perhaps someone could correct me, but
I'd like a command to, in essence, do a comprehensive
--verify-all-files-in-the-archive. [I'm pretty sure such a thing
doesn't exist, at least I never saw it in the docs.]

This would apply all deltas to *all* files (back to the oldest copy) and
compare the stored
hashes at the time of backup to the rebuilt file. [Note all the
files, not just those in a particular target date/delta.]

This wouldn't verify that every file would be correct in every delta
version, but it would, I think, get as close as one might come to
that.

Then again, doing an intermediate check of the hash and file at each
delta point wouldn't take too much longer [or so I think without a
lot of time invested in pondering it] - so if this option/feature doesn't
exist and one were to code it, it might not be much more code or
difficulty...

Thoughts?

-Greg