Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Verify times increasing

From: Matthew Flaschen
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Verify times increasing
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 19:01:36 -0500

Daniel Miller wrote:
> Ideology: I do the large verify every day on the remote system to make
> sure my backup history is not becoming corrupt (e.g. due to disk
> failure, etc.). Ideally I would like to verify the past year, but that
> will obviously take way too long to be possible with my setup.
>
> Observations:
> Despite reducing the amount of historical data that gets verified from
> one year to three months,

I think you are misunderstanding how --verify works.  If you say:

rdiff-backup --verify-at-time 1Y

it does not verify the last 1 years worth of backups.  It verifies a
single backup a year ago (I believe the closest backup before that exact
time); hence the name "verify-at-time".  As the manual says, "Check all
the data in the repository *at* the given time." (emphasis added).  That
explains why you are not seeing the trend you expect.  It also means
you're getting less verification than you thought.

Matthew Flaschen