[rdiff-backup-users] Warning: Extended attributes file not found

From: Steve White
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Warning: Extended attributes file not found
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 10:05:46 +0100

Andrew,

On  7.01.08, Andrew Ferguson wrote:
> Steve White wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm getting these warnings from rdiff-backup 1.0.5 in a SL 4.5 system.
> >     Warning: Extended attributes file not found
> > They contain no further information.
> >
> > The question came up on this list some years ago:
> >     http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg00631.html
> > but the only answer was that rdiff-backup couldn't handle long file names.
> >
> > I would suggest that the warning should also indicate which file triggered
> > the problem.
>

> That Warning message (not an error!) is unrelated to that mailing list
> post. That post is about a problem with long file names which is resolved.

You mean: the problem which the above post referred to has been resolved.
OK.

> The Warning message indicates that rdiff-backup cannot find the Extended
> Attributes storage file, which is normally kept in rdiff-backup-data/ .
> So yes, it is saying which file triggered the problem.

I don't follow.  As I said, no file name was reported.

In what way is it saying which file triggered the problem?

Often I get a report just like this:

Warning: Extended attributes file not found
Warning: Extended attributes file not found
Warning: Extended attributes file not found
Warning: Extended attributes file not found
Warning: Extended attributes file not found

Not very informative.

> Did you perhaps change your rdiff-backup configuration between runs?

I don't think the rdiff-backup configuration changed.

> Do you have extended attributes setup on the server but not the client?

How would I know that?

> What does the -v5 option report?

I'll get back to you on this.

> Furthermore, I would recommend using the latest development version,
> 1.1.15, as it is quite stable and soon to become rdiff-backup 1.2.0.

I will consider that option.  For now I will stick with the distribution
version at hand.  Until recently, it has been working well.

Thanks!

Steve White                                             +49(331)7499-202
Computer Programmierer                                    Zi. 35  Bg. 20
Astrophysikalisches Institut Potsdam (AIP)
An der Sternwarte 16, D-14482 Potsdam

Vorstand: Prof. Dr. Matthias Steinmetz, Peter A. Stolz

Stiftung privaten Rechts, Stiftungsverzeichnis Brandenburg: III/7-71-026