Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Socket error: AF_UNIX path too long

From: Steve White
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Socket error: AF_UNIX path too long
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 10:03:28 +0100

Andrew,

On  7.01.08, Andrew Ferguson wrote:
> Steve White wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm getting such errors from rdiff-backup 1.0.5 in a SL 4.5 system:
> > SpecialFileError var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock Socket error: AF_UNIX path
> > too long SpecialFileError var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket Socket
> > error: AF_UNIX path too l ong
> >
> > There have been several discussions on this list concerning this. Of
> > course it is questionable to back up sockets, so there was advice to
> > use --exclude-sockets,
>
> Hi Steve,
>
> I don't think any users have had trouble with --exclude-sockets
> recently. From what I can tell, any further errors after using that
> option were entirely unrelated to sockets.

So, I take it that your advice is to use the
        --exclude-sockets
option.

I will try this.  For my purposes, there is no need to back up sockets.

> If you are seeing SpecialFileError's, those errors should be
> recoverable. That is, rdiff-backup does finish correctly, doesn't it? If
> it does, then you have nothing to worry about, and can indeed continue
> *without* using the --exclude-sockets option. What happens is this:
> rdiff-backup tries to make the socket, encounters the AF_UNIX error,
> recovers by storing information about the socket in the mirror_metadata,
> and then logs the SpecialFileError. On restore, rdiff-backup will
> attempt to recreate the socket by using the stored metadata.
>
> If rdiff-backup is *not* finishing correctly, please send the complete
> error message, as it is most likely not due to the AF_UNIX message.

I sent you the complete error message.

Did you expect something more?

Except for the error message, I have no evidence that rdiff-backup failed.

Cheers!

Steve White                                             +49(331)7499-202
Computer Programmierer                                    Zi. 35  Bg. 20
Astrophysikalisches Institut Potsdam (AIP)
An der Sternwarte 16, D-14482 Potsdam

Vorstand: Prof. Dr. Matthias Steinmetz, Peter A. Stolz

Stiftung privaten Rechts, Stiftungsverzeichnis Brandenburg: III/7-71-026