Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup 1.1.15 released

From: Andreas Olsson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup 1.1.15 released
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 05:36:39 +0100

On Thursday 03 January 2008 23:56:06 Andreas Olsson wrote:
> On Thursday 03 January 2008 23:20:51 Andrew Ferguson wrote:
> > rdiff-backup is now quite close to a new stable release (1.2.0). Please
> > give this a good test. In particular, before releasing a new stable, I
> > would like to see how rdiff-backup handles upgrading a 1.0.x repository
> > to a 1.1.x repository, if that is even possible.
>
> I'll set up a few test backups and start doing some testing on converting
> 1.0.x  reposotires to the new version.

Well, so far it certainly looks promising. Under good condition rdiff-backup
1.1.15 doesn't seem to have any trouble reading from a repository created
with rdiff-backup 1.0.5. How it behaves under less ideal circumstances
remains to be seen.

In this case good conditions are defined as ext3 and well formated filenames.

For obvious reason you do get warnings about not being able to read checksums.

Anyhow, as long as you can get rdiff-backup 1.1.15 to read your old repository
it is very possible to upgrade the repository to the rdiff-backup's new
format. My approach involves reusing the basic idea from this post.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/rdiff-backup-users/2007-01/msg00017.html

Basically you pull each increment out of the old repository and insert them
into the new repository one at a time using --current-time to keep the
original history.  I just performed this operation manually on small
repository of mine and it worked like a charm.

It shouldn't be be too hard to write a scripts which automatize the process,
does some error checking, etc. If there is an interest I guess I could write
some kind of proof of concept in Perl.

(Sorry, I don't speak Python.)

--
Andreas Olsson