Re: [rdiff-backup-users] workaround for "[Errno 91] File name too long..

From: rdiff
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] workaround for "[Errno 91] File name too long..."?
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 16:21:33 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007, Andrew Ferguson wrote:
Andrew Ferguson wrote:
address@hidden wrote:
On Fri, 17 Aug 2007, Dave Kempe wrote:
While i agree with everything Andrew has said regarding long filenames and
such - on filesystems that don't require escaping, we have had no problems
using rdiff-backup to back up rdiff-backup repos. As long as you structure
the directorys right, its works really well.

When searching for the rdiff-backup-data directory, does rdiff-backup
check top down, or bottom up?

An addendum to that (and maybe this was actually your question?) is how
rdiff-backup finds the data dir during a restore:

I defer to the comment at the start of restore_set_root() in Main.py:
        The idea here is to keep backing up on the path until we find
        a directory that contains "rdiff-backup-data".  That is the
        mirror root.

So if I understand correctly, when restoring backups from a backup of a backup, rdiff-backup will use the original backup, not the backup's backup as the increment source.

In our example:

/backup-backups/rdiff-backup-data/...
/backup-backups/b1/rdiff-backup-data/...
/backup-backups/b1/foo/bar.txt
/backup-backups/b2/rdiff-backup-data/...
/backup-backups/b2/foo/bar.txt

If one were to restore /backup-backups/b2/foo/bar.txt, it would then use /backup-backups/b2/rdiff-backup-data/ to read increments from since it starts backing up on the path until it finds the first rdiff-backup-data/increments?

-Eric