Re: [rdiff-backup-users] workaround for "[Errno 91] File name too long..

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] workaround for "[Errno 91] File name too long..."?
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 18:32:31 -0400

address@hidden wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Aug 2007, Dave Kempe wrote:
>> While i agree with everything Andrew has said regarding long filenames and
>> such - on filesystems that don't require escaping, we have had no problems
>> using rdiff-backup to back up rdiff-backup repos. As long as you structure
>> the directorys right, its works really well.
>
> When searching for the rdiff-backup-data directory, does rdiff-backup
> check top down, or bottom up?

rdiff-backup takes the 'dumb' approach of appending "rdiff-backup-data"
to the second argument, not even bothering to search:

If you use rdiff-backup like this:

rdiff-backup source target

it will look for, and use, the directory "target/rdiff-backup-data"

So yes, you can backup a directory that in turn contains another
rdiff-backup repository without any problems. (I do so regularly.)

Andrew

--
Andrew Ferguson - address@hidden