Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Robustness to errors during backup

From: Frederik
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Robustness to errors during backup
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 09:36:27 +0200

On 6/26/07, Eric Jensen <address@hidden> wrote:

Certainly any sort of backup software needs to report errors, but it
seems that ideally the software would continue with the backup even if
it encounters an error on a particular file.  I know nothing about error
trapping in Python, so maybe this isn't possible.  Failing that, is
there any setting I can use that would make rdiff-backup more likely to
continue after an error?

I completely agree with that.

I have been using rdiff-backup for a few months, and have already lost
all increments for several times. Either because there's not enough
space, and rdiff-backup is not able to remove old increments without
lots of empty space, either because some file system corruption
destroyed some files from which rdiff-backup cannot recover anymore at
all, etc... And in case of (sometimes trivial) problems, rdiff-backup
never gives clear human readable error messages, but crashes with an
uncatched python exception including backtrace.

Although rdiff-backup has a great feature set, unfortunately I am
planning to migrate to some other backup system. I cannot trust a
backup system which fails so easily and takes all increments with it.
:-(

--
Frederik