Re: [rdiff-backup-users] stupid, stupid question, but necessary to know

From: Maarten Bezemer
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] stupid, stupid question, but necessary to know answer
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 17:41:24 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 4 Aug 2006, J. Norment wrote:

> I think I did a bone-headed thing.  I excluded the rdiff-backup-data
> path in the backup.  I probably want that path in order to do
> incremental restores... is that correct?

Hmm.. never tried that. You mean you have an --exclude rdiff-backup-data
on your command line?

This made me think about something related: what happens if the tree
you're backup up contains an rdiff-backup-data directory? Will it be
escaped? Will it be ignored? Will it be used and screw up the whole thing?

Maybe there's a difference between having an rdiff-backup-data directory
at the top-level of the backed-up tree or having it somewhere down the
tree. The latter case might give other problems when trying to restore
parts of the tree below that point?

Could someone familiar to the sources and the ideas please shed some light
on this?

Regards,
 Maarten