Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Encountering the NFS "Directory not empty" erro

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Encountering the NFS "Directory not empty" error
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 20:30:53 -0600

> I already checked my theory some time ago, by just putting a long
> sleep before the rmdir exception. Then I looked into the directory
> and it showed .nfs files. Furthermore /proc/{PID of rdiff-backup}/fd
> showed open filedescriptors to those files.
> Well, replicating is very easy, I think I can do this within seconds,
> I only need one file in one dir.

Ahh, interesting.  So can you just look at the file and tell me which
one it is?  Like if the backup directory "backup" looks like

backup/foo/somefile

and the new source directory "source" doesn't have the /foo directory
in it, and then you run

rdiff-backup source backup

does that cause the error all the time?  What is the file that's
hanging around, is it "somefile" itself?

> I already tried a python-debugger, but it always fails with another
> exception (I believe to remember its an open() to a non-existent
> file), I also still do not understand why it doesn't rise this
> exception without a debugger.

Dunno I don't use debuggers.

> Another possibility would be do monitor all open() and close()
> calls, but I think there are rather many of them and all of them
> would need a print or somethink link that.

Yes, that's definitely doable if you can reproduce the problem with
such a small data set.