Re: [rdiff-backup-users] what to burn

From: Keith Edmunds
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] what to burn
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 23:19:05 +0000

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 17:05:12 -0500 (EST)
"Duke" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Should I just burn a full backup every time, or is there some way to just
> burn the increments after putting the inital backup on CD?

The problem is that rdiff-backup use reverse diffs - the mirror directory
is an exact replica of the latest version of the source, plus one
additional directory tree that holds the reverse diffs. Why do you want to
burn the backups to CD? If it's to get a snapshot then I'd suggest you
backup the mirror directory without the rdiff-backup-data directory. If you
want a backup of the backup, you'd really need to copy the whole mirror.
Personally I backup my backup using rdiff-backup again, and then purge to 3
days (because the 2nd backup includes all the diffs from the first one).
Hmm, does that make sense or is it getting a little late?

Keith

     Business computing support: http://www.tiger-computing.co.uk
       Linux consultancy: http://www.TheLinuxConsultancy.co.uk