[rdiff-backup-users] data disappearing

From: Susanne Hemker
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] data disappearing
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 13:25:09 -0500

Hi everybody,
during the rdiff-backups I run every night there seems to be data
disappearing. I don't think anybody has hacked into our system and is
deleting the files. From last night I got the following output for a lot
of files:

UpdateError
src/oscar-2.0/packages/mpich/RPMS/mpich-oscar-module-1.2.4-7.i586.rpm
File changed from regular
 file before signature

When I looked at the rdiff-backup directory and tried to list the
increments I got:

Fatal Error: Unable to find rdiff-backup-data directory

and

rdiff-backup --check-destination-dir /backup/rdiff-backups/home_usr
Fatal Error: No destination dir found at
/backup/rdiff-backups/home_usr

This means the meta-data file is gone but also when I checked the
directory src/oscar-2.0/packages/mpich/RPMS/
the mpich-oscar-module-1.2.4-7.i586.rpm was gone (along with a lot of
stuff, the log file is 68 pages long)

Any suggestions how this might have happened?

Thanks a lot,

Susanne

Dr. Susanne Hemker
Division of Medical Imaging Physics
The Russell H. Morgan Department of Radiology and Radiological Science
Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions

http://dmip.rad.jhmi.edu