[rdiff-backup-users] Web Interface

From: David Evans
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Web Interface
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 10:07:22 -0400

Hi all.

We've been using e-smith/march/mitel SME-Server software here for years, and I installed rdiff-backup a couple of weeks ago using a contrib RPM that I found on their community site (contribs.org). Well, I thought it was just smashing, did up a cron job to connect to samba shares on the network and backup other servers, and then got to thinking about how this could be done on a web interface. So I hacked together a dirty little PHP script that stores the settings in a MySQL database, and runs the backups through a perl script. It also lets users browse through their backed up files and download them directly through the browser. Not very pythonesque, but hey, that's just me.

Now, it is at the stage where I think it might start getting useful for other people, and this morning I signed up for this list in order to introduce myself. While doing so, I looked through the archives and saw that there is someone else who has done something similar, but wants to charge for it.

Now, I don't want to step on anyone's toes, and I am full sure that the other script is better than mine, but I had intended to release this with a GPL on the top. Does anyone have any objections?

Regards

David Evans