[rdiff-backup-users] Wrong date being restored?

From: Ty! Boyack
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Wrong date being restored?
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 13:39:08 -0700

We just saw a strange behavior on restore dates, which may be my
misunderstanding, but may also be a small bug in the date selection
for restores.

Here is our scenerio:  We have a database that is used everyday, and
closed every night as our accounting staff logs out.  So, the file is
saved at 5pm every workday of the week, and left untouched on the
weekends.  The file became corrupt, and a restore was needed on
Tuesday morning (9AM, Nov 18th).  Backups are taken at 10pm every
night, and all show full success.

Our goal was to get last Thursday's (Nov 13th) and last Friday's (Nov
14th) copy of the file.

Restoring was done with the command:
'rdiff-backup -r xD <backup location> <destination>'
where 'x' was the number of days for the restore, as per the
description in the man pages.

With the option '-r 3D' we should have restored the file as it was on
Saturday, Nov 15th (18-3, right?) at 9AM, which would have restored
the file from Friday night's backup (on the 14th) which contained the
file saved at 5pm on Friday.  But instead it restored the version from
Thursday night's backup, with the file saved at 5pm on Thursday.

With '-r 2D' the effect was the same - still Thursday's backup.

with '-r 1D' I was able to get Friday's copy restored (backup from
10pm Friday with file from 5pm Friday).

It looks like the backups all look correct -- the file_statistics show
exactly what we expect, but the restore seems a little off.  Of
coures, I may be completely misunderstanding the way the -r switch
works, and if I am I appologize.

Anyone have any ideas if I'm behaving stupidly (please limit to this
issue...) or if there is an issue here?

Thanks,

Ty!

--