Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Wrong date being restored?

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Wrong date being restored?
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 21:50:28 -0800

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 13:39:08 -0700 "Ty! Boyack" <address@hidden> wrote:
> We just saw a strange behavior on restore dates, which may be my
> misunderstanding, but may also be a small bug in the date selection
> for restores.
> With the option '-r 3D' we should have restored the file as it was on
> Saturday, Nov 15th (18-3, right?) at 9AM, which would have restored
> the file from Friday night's backup (on the 14th) which contained the
> file saved at 5pm on Friday.  But instead it restored the version from
> Thursday night's backup, with the file saved at 5pm on Thursday.
>
> With '-r 2D' the effect was the same - still Thursday's backup.
>
> with '-r 1D' I was able to get Friday's copy restored (backup from
> 10pm Friday with file from 5pm Friday).
> Anyone have any ideas if I'm behaving stupidly (please limit to this
> issue...) or if there is an issue here?

It seems there is an issue.  Does rdiff-backup -l <dir> find all the
backup times you are talking about?  If not perhaps one of the backups
(the Friday one) didn't successfully complete.

Also, it might be helpful to see the times for all the increment
files.  So if you are trying to restore dir/foo, what does

ls -l dest_dir/rdiff-backup-data/increments/dir/foo*

say?  Are all the increment times correct?