Re: [RP] rp and large / multiple monitors

From: Jeff Abrahamson
Subject: Re: [RP] rp and large / multiple monitors
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 22:18:35 +0200

Thanks, fselect is quite useful.  That definitely helps.  I'll have to think about how to improve the documentation, because I too often find that rp does things that I didn't realize it did, even though I read the docs.

Swap is currently driving me crazy.  Here's a scenario that seems reasonable to me:

My screen is split into two frames, left and right.  On the left are two browser windows, B1 and B2 (stacked, so only B2 is visible).  On the right is a terminal.  I want to put the top browser window where the terminal is.  Swap doesn't do it, but what does is the sequence "other (to put B1 on top); right (to move focus to the right frame); select B2 (to map B2 in the right frame); right (to move the focus back to the left frame".

That is, I can'f find a command when I am in the left frame just to move that window to the right frame.

Another thing that I've been trying to figure out how to do is to temporarily maximize a window.  I can maximize with "only", but then I have to re-establish the frames manually and populate them the way I want using the Tower of Hanoi procedure outlined above.  I could imagine an rpws-style script that does this, but, um, really, this is the best way?

Jeff Abrahamson
+33 6 24 40 01 57
+44 7920 594 255

http://jeff.purple.com/
http://blog.purple.com/jeff/

On 15 April 2014 01:37, Joren Van Onder <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sun, Apr 13, 2014 at 21:19, Jeff Abrahamson <address@hidden> wrote:
> My usual case is a handful of terminals, a handful of emacs frames, and
> a handful of browser frames.  So naming them isn't too helpful for me.
> (For example, what would I call them?)  I'd also prefer to avoid the
> cognitive switch of thinking about window names when I can see the
> window.  Right, so this might be possible, but I might have to do some
> extra work.  I'll have to have a play, I'm quite fond of rp except for
> a couple details like this.

I'm wondering, are you only interested in focusing windows that are
visible with a number? Because you can do that with the 'fselect'
command (which is what rpshowall.sh uses, except that it first creates
new frames to make all windows visible).

> I've noticed that scripting ratpoison seems a bit slow (e.g.,
> rpshowall.sh).

On my machine it seems to be mostly caused by every application having
to resize itself.

PS: I noticed I missed the following in your original email:

> For move, the selection would cause the current window to move to
> frame 3.

I think the 'swap' command might do what you want.

--
        Joren