[RP] ratpoison on Irix

From: Pawel Kaczor
Subject: [RP] ratpoison on Irix
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2006 00:16:40 +0200 (CEST)

Hello everybody,
I'm curious if someone succesfuly compiled and run ratpoison on Silicon Grahics hardware and Irix 6.5? I own quite old Silicon Graphics machines (O2 and Octane) and they look like perfect systems for ratpoison. (currently I use ratpoison on my FreeBSD old Pentium III laptop).

I compiled RP on Irix (using gcc) but when I run it as my default WM (from .xsession), ratpoison can't interprets bindings from .ratpoisonrc. I can redefine Escape key to windows_key (escape Super_L) but this is the only option set from .ratpoisonrc. No aliases, no binds.

I'm unable bind key to command from within ratpoison. When I hit Escape + : (Escape and colon) and put 'bind x exec xterm' into the editor window, it doesn't work. When I check bindings (Escape + ?) I can see this new bindings but the whole string after the key (in this case 'x') is a strange looking two chars string instead of 'exec xterm'. I'm able to make new bind hitting Escape + :, then I have to put 'bind', hit Return, when ratposion asks 'Key: ' I hit key ('x') and Return, then ratposion asks 'Command: ' and I can put my 'exec xterm' string. That works perfectly and Escape + ? lists this new binding.

During compilation I noticed few warnings:

gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I. -g -O2 -Wall -O2 -c `test -f editor.c || echo './'`editor.c

editor.c: In function `editor_forward_word':
editor.c:188: warning: subscript has type `char'
editor.c:189: warning: subscript has type `char'
editor.c: In function `editor_backward_word':
editor.c:200: warning: subscript has type `char'
editor.c:201: warning: subscript has type `char'
editor.c: In function `editor_kill_word':
editor.c:268: warning: subscript has type `char'
editor.c:269: warning: subscript has type `char'
editor.c: In function `editor_backward_kill_word':
editor.c:292: warning: subscript has type `char'
editor.c:293: warning: subscript has type `char'

and:

gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.      -g -O2 -Wall -O2  -c `test -f

format.c || echo './'`format.c
format.c: In function `format_string':
format.c:113: warning: subscript has type `char'

I will try to investigate this problem on my own but maybe someone could help me?

p.s. Ratpoison is the best WM I ever used! Thanks for it, Shawn.

Cheers,
paczor

"A z kwiatków, jakie pan lubi najbardziej? Sztukamięs z kwiatkiem"
----------------------------------[pawel kaczor address@hidden