Re: [RP] Slow window changing

From: Shawn Betts
Subject: Re: [RP] Slow window changing
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 21:34:18 -0400

"Aaron Griffin" <address@hidden> writes:

> I've noticed this for some time, and haven't had the ability to look
> into it.  The reason I bring it up here, is just in case someone feels
> the need to do some coding out of boredom/other reasons.
>
> Before ratpoison I used WMI, so because of that, I still play with
> WMII from time to time (but the instability of the development trees,
> breaking changes, and nasty configuration really bother me).
>
> That said, I've noticed that, when doing things like :prev and :next,
> it takes *alot* longer than the same operation in WMII.  It almost
> appears that ratpoison fully unmaps windows which are not displayed,
> and remaps them later when they would be displayed.  Is this the case?
> If it is, I think it might be worth a shot to just change the
> stacking order of windows, rather than unmapping/remapping.  But,
> again, this is just assumption.  If it is true, is there a rationale
> behind it? Or is it just easier to implement that way?

It was done this way when I added frames. windows would sit scattered
around the background. You could see them in blank frames and around
the edges of resize increment hinted windows (xterm, emacs).

You could comment out the bodies of unhinde_window and hide_window to
see if this is what the slow down is.

I have trouble seeing how mapping and unmapping windows makes any
difference since the entire window contents have to be drawn in any
case. But perhaps it does, in fact, have an impact.

-Shawn