Re: [RP] rpwspl behaviour

From: Matthew Sackman
Subject: Re: [RP] rpwspl behaviour
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 10:50:52 +0100

Hi,

Is it just me or do other people suffer from windows either leaking from
one group to another or windows vanishing completely? This tends to
happen when switching rapidly between workspaces whilst under heavy
load.

What I think is happening is that ratpoison is being told to switch to a
group and restore frames and is then told to switch to another. When
switching to another, the group selection hasn't taken effect yet so
ratpoison reports the wrong current group thus leading to groups getting
lost. Is this possible - is there a race condition here that ratpoison
can be sent a gselect and then groups and the groups output not reflect
the result of the gselect?

I thought initially this was rpwspl's fault so wrote my own scripts to
achieve the same thing through different means. But occasionally I get
the same behaviour - under 100% load switch to wsA and then to wsB
before wsA has been loaded. In switching to wsB, the contents of wsA are
saved (group selection and frames) but it's in fact the current workspace
that is saved as wsA because wsA was never loaded. Thus wsA in effect
vanishes (other than manual gselect). So can ratpoison be made to buffer
commands and only honour them in order, such that the next won't be
started until the current has completed?

Thanks,

Matthew
--
Matthew Sackman