Re: [RP] Memory issues in 1.1.1

From: Gergely Nagy
Subject: Re: [RP] Memory issues in 1.1.1
Date: Tue Oct 15 15:42:03 2002

> Runaway!  rp proceeded to chew up just about all of my 256M
> of RAM, along with a substantial portion of my swap space,
> before I was able to shut it down.  (Needless to say, this
> was no small task.)

One thing you could try is to set up some limits (like ulimit -c
unlimited; ulimit -m 65535; These will set coredump size to unlimited,
and maximum RSS to 64Mb), and try running ratpoison.

For easy debugging, you should compile RP with CFLAGS=-ggdb3 set
before running configure, so you'll get a binary with lots of debug
info.

When the binary is ready, and limits are in place, try attaching gdb
to the ratpoison process, hit a `continue', then, after a few seconds,
hit Ctrl-c, and do a `backtrace'. That way we might see where it
breaks.

Alternatively, you could attach an strace to it (I don't have the
manual page for that command handy, sorry).

Hmm... you might also want to check the kdm/gdm/X/whatever logs to see
if ratpoison (or something else) logged something interesting there.

I hope the above made sense :)

If you could do any of that, it would be a great help in debugging.

Cheers,
--
Gergely Nagy