qvm86-devel

[qvm86-devel] (no subject)

From: Vipin Bhargava
Subject: [qvm86-devel] (no subject)
Date: Sun, 08 May 2005 14:47:45 -0700

Well, the problem seemed to come down to errors along the lines of invalid
argument in movl or pushl in switch.S.

Ok, fine, so let's edit the file and see if we can't come up with x86_64 names.

eax becomes rax.
movl becomes movq.
and so on...do this for the whole file.

Eventually I get a compile, with the only warnings being:
"warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size"
mostly from qvm86.

I can live with that :-)

I complete the compile, make install.

modprobe qvm86 loads!

/dev/qvm86 looks like:

crw------- 1 root root 10, 62 May 6 17:41 /dev/qvm86

I can run qemu, and load up Win2k.

No difference in speed that I can notice. What test can I do under a stock
install of Win2k? (for some reason 0.7.0 won't bring up network for me)

How can I insert a file into here so that others can get the changes and
compilation output?

1) Very very inelegant, and probably won't work. I was waiting for it to crash
my machine, and still am.
2) I would be surprised if it is even remotely reasonable to assume that
something like this should work.
3) There was a problem with "pushq %ds ; pushq %es". Compiler won't take them.
Every doc I could find said it should be ok. (look at lines 75 and 76).
4) AMD64 3000+, Fedora Core 3, 2.6.11-1.14_FC3
5) No errors reported by qemu or qvm86
Output of messages file:
May  6 20:40:27 localhost kernel: qvm86: Module loaded
May  6 20:40:27 localhost kernel: qvm86: Created device 10.62

Travelling Sat., can read posts on Sun forward.
Later,
Vip