quilt-dev

Re: [Quilt-dev] quilt new -p ab

From: Andreas Grünbacher
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] quilt new -p ab
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 15:14:45 +0200

Am Mo., 30. Aug. 2021 um 14:50 Uhr schrieb Jean Delvare <jdelvare@suse.de>:
> On Mon, 30 Aug 2021 14:26:23 +0200, Egbert Eich wrote:
> > Jean Delvare writes:
> >  > This all originates from this 12-year-old commit:
> >  >
> >  > commit 66f9da46333e3d268cd1dd429ff2d2a674450d80
> >  > Author: Andreas Gruenbacher
> >  > Date:   Wed Nov 25 18:38:10 2009 +0100
> >  >
> >  >     - new command: Add -p ... option (equivalent to diff -p ...).
> >  >       (Based on a patch from Egbert Eich.)
> >  >
> >  > Apparently this was only ever tested with "-p0" and not with "-p ab"?
> >
> > This is not unlikely. When I sent these patches to Andreas, I was
> > addressing issues I had with RPM packages, and RPMs do not support
> > the -p ab option with %patch. So I may have never looked into '-p ab'.
>
> That was my guess, thanks for confirming.
>
> >  > This brings the question as to whether we actually want to support
> >  > option "-p ab" in the "new" command and in the series file.
> >  >
> >  > My initial feeling is that we shouldn't, as the options in the series
> >  > file are meant to be passed to patch(1), so we should only store "-p0"
> >  > and "-R" there. Thus one way to fix the bugs is to simply remove the
> >  > support of "-p ab" from the "new" command.
> >
> > I believe my intention was to support also 'higher' levels than 0 or 1.
> > 'diff' also supports -p ab - at least according to the man page.
>
> Hmm? -p means something completely different for diff (--show-c-function).

Yes, quilt uses 'diff --label "a/$file" --label "b/$file"' for
generating the '-p ab' format.

The setup command may put a strip level greater than one into the
series file and 'quilt push' will happily apply such patches, but the
refresh command will complain when trying to refresh a patch with a
strip level greater than one, for example:

  Cannot refresh patches with -p2, please specify -p0, -p1, or -pab instead

Andreas