quilt-dev

[Quilt-dev] Quilt 0.50 released

From: Jean Delvare
Subject: [Quilt-dev] Quilt 0.50 released
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 22:30:51 +0100

Hi all,

Yes. Really.

After 34 months, a new release of quilt is finally available. I skipped
0.49 due to the long delay, so the new release is numbered 0.50.

I won't go describing the changes in this release. There are way too
many for me to remember, and I simply don't have the time to dig through
the changelog. So... there are new features, and bug fixes. That's it.

What I can say for sure is that it won't take 34 more months before the
next release. What I would like to see happen now is distribution
packagers pick this new release and rebase their package on it. Then do
some testing and report any problem or bug. The next release of quilt
will probably mainly consist of these bug fixes.

0.50 will not be the best release of quilt ever, I'm sure. With such a
long time without a release, odds are that testing of the development
version of quilt has been scarce. We'll only hear about the problems
once it gets widely deployed.

One known problem is the translations. I've updated the French
translation before releasing 0.50, and also fixed the easiest fuzziness
in the German translation, but all of German, Japanese and Russian
translations would need some love from native speakers. It would be
great to have this in 0.51.

Then 0.52 could be the long awaited migration to bash-based backup-
files, making quilt a noarch package. And 0.53 and later could focused
on merging back the local changes every distribution must have been
carrying for 2 years.

Thanks,
--
Jean Delvare