quilt-dev

Re: [Quilt-dev] Converting the latex documentation?

From: Martin Quinson
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] Converting the latex documentation?
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 12:16:52 +0200

On Mon, Mar 27, 2006 at 09:15:52AM +0200, Jean Delvare wrote:
> Hi Martin,

> > > Why that, please?
> >
> > Well, because all the binary package comming from the same source package
> > share the same build-dependencies. I guess it can be seen as one of the
> > debian package limitation, maybe.
>
> To me, yes, clearly. If you want to fix something, that would rather be
> this bug in the debian packaging system, rather than quilt's
> documentation format.

I fear I do not agree with you, of course ;)

First, what I said was a bit oversimplified. In fact, there is two sets of
build-dependencies. One for the architecture dependent binary packages
(called build-depends) and one for the arch-independent ones (called
build-depends-indep).

Then, Debian packages are automatically built on build daemon which are in
charge of compiling them for all the 12 architectures (1). buildd only have
to build arch-dependent packages, of course, so they install the
build-depends set.

For now, quilt only have one binary package, which is arch-dependent because
of backup-files. Of course, the build-dep/b-d-indep mecanism could be used
to solve the issue, and I guess it's the way I'll follow now.

But removing the tex dependency would have been easier from my POV, so I
wanted to check whether it would be ok for you or not. It is not, and that's
cool with me ;)

Bye, Mt.

(1): build daemons status for quilt:
http://people.debian.org/~igloo/status.php?packages=quilt