quilt-dev

Re: [Quilt-dev] Make problems with 0.43 and up

From: Jean Delvare
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] Make problems with 0.43 and up
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 20:04:28 +0100

Hi Dustin (and all who tested the patch),

> IMHO, supporting non-GNU versions shouldn't be necessary -- GNU make is
> available on most platforms, and quilt depends on lots of other GNU
> utilities.  However, make 3.79.1 seems to be the most common version --
> it's in both RH8 and RH9, and apparently in Debian woody too -- so it's
> probably the oldest that's worth supporting.

I tested with GNU make 3.78.1 just to make sure - it seems to work fine
too, which is great. I also tested with pmake, out of curiousity, and
it failed - but quilt 0.42 is failing too (pmake doesn't support "ifeq"
and its variants and we use these a lot now), so I don't think this is
a problem. Supporting GNU make >= 3.78.1 should be sufficient.

So I'm going to commit this patch, as it was successfully tested by
several of you (Thanks!)

Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to schedule a maintenance release soon?
Breaking build with GNU make < 3.80 was no good, and there are quite a
few other fixes of varying importance in CVS already.

Thanks,
--
Jean Delvare