quilt-dev

Re: [Quilt-dev] Applying local patches for new upstream releases

From: Peter Williams
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] Applying local patches for new upstream releases
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 09:03:19 +1000

Jean Delvare wrote:
Hi Peter,

On 2005-10-11, Peter Williams wrote:

It would be nice to have a quilt "archive" command to create a tar
archive of the patches as it would be very useful for this type of
thing.  For a start it would ideally only include those files in the
patches directory that are still relevant to the patch set and this
would help a lot.

I have been thinking of something similar, although with a slightly
different approach. I sometimes need to verify that I have no unused
files in my patches subdirectory. I do not want to have old files lying
around if I no more need them. Also, for one of my projects, I am
publishing this directory on a regular basis and want to make sure that
I am not including out-of-date stuff. Rather than having quilt generate
the archive (I am fine doing it myself),

Having a quilt command to do it would make it easier from me to make this functionality available from gquilt :-)

It also isolates the user from the implementation details. I know this isn't as big an issue with the patches directory as for the rest of the implementation details but it's still an issue.

Also a logical extension to an "archive" command would be to have an option to import a archive into a directory. Completing the functionality the original poster was requesting.

I just would like a way to
detect, and optionally delete, any out-of-series patch file.

This could be implemented as a separate command or as an extension of the
"series" command, for example "quilt series -o" would print the
out-of-series patch files, and "quilt series -ro" would delete them.
This shouldn't be too hard to implement.

I think this would be a useful feature regardless of whether there was an archive command. Removal of no longer required back up files would also be useful.

One could run such a command before manually creating an archive from the
patches directory, so that only patches being currently used are
included.

Peter
--
Peter Williams                                   address@hidden