quilt-dev

Re: [Quilt-dev] translations issues

From: Martin Quinson
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] translations issues
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 15:39:52 -0700

On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 02:18:07AM +0200, Andreas Gruenbacher wrote:
> On Monday 12 July 2004 05:46, Martin Quinson wrote:
>
> Yes, a few expansions are still left. Feel free to fix them ;)

done.

> > I also consider that all those "\\n" in the po files are nasty. I'd prefer
> > constructions such as
> >         printf $"Usage: quilt edit file ...""\n"
> > if possible.
>
> Yuck -- I don't like making the code harder to read just because of
> translations. A simple function like this would do, but I'm not excited about
> introducing more abstractions: this would slow things down, and make toe code
> more awkward to understand...
>
>       printfl() {
>               local fmt=$1
>               shift
>               printf "$fmt"$'\n' "$@"
>       }

Well, I'm not for such a function either, but taking \n out of the string
seems like the right way to go for me. I don't really see why it's harder.

Alternativaly, we could write

   printf $"Usage: quilt edit file ...
"

just as it is done in several other places of the code.

> > Afterward, we will be able to set the c-format flag on
> > translations to make sure that translation and original have the same
> > amount of %s and such.
>
> Good idea. Where in the pot file does that go? Can you do it?

Let me check. It may involve some sed'ing of the pot file after generation.

> As if using gettext(1) would solve any of the problems that $"" has -- I'm
> quite fine with $"".

Sure, me too. Just wanted to present to point of view of gettext maintainers.

> We should indeed keep the functionality. There are people who are not using
> bash as their shell; also many bash users don't use the completions.

ok.

Thanks for your time,
Mt.

--
It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for programming,
but couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous.