quilt-dev

Re: [Quilt-dev] Recent improvements

From: Martin Quinson
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] Recent improvements
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 20:53:12 -0700

On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 02:20:18AM +0200, Andreas Gruenbacher wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently found the time to add a number of small features to quilt
> which I was missing now and then.  I will summarize them here, so that
> they won't stay unnoticed.

They deserve being placed in a NEWS file, IMHO. Moreover, I'd like to add
this one (thanks Joe):

COMPLETION

quilt provide support for the bash completion feature. Completing on "quilt
push" will show the names of yet non applied patches, and so on.
Until recently, this was only usable on Debian system, but it is now
portable.

Some reactions:

> PATCHES NAMES IN STATUS MESSAGES
>
> I often found myself adding the path to the directory that contains the
> patches when cutting and pasting patch names from quilt's messages. With
> the QUILT_PATCHES_PREFIX option, quilt will now report the relative path
> from the working directory to the patches directory when reporting patch
> names. Depending on your feedback, this may stay an option, or become the
> default behavior.

As Joe, I'd prefer it to stay an option, for the very same reason...

> DIFFSTAT
>
> The refresh command now has a new --diffstat option. When this option is
> given, patch statistics are added to the patch comments, and existing
> statistics will be refreshed. (The diff command does not produce
> statistics so far.)

so, QUILT_REFRESH_ARGS=--diffstat gives me my diffstat back ? You rules !

> TODO (Martin? ;-)
>
> Internally, I have switched to using printf instead of echo for messages.
> This
> is easier to handle long-term, because no shell expressions remain in the
> messages themselves; instead, arguments are expanded as printf arguments. I
> have updated the German translation, but I did not touch French. As a
> consequence, the French translation currently is in a very bad state.

done ;)

Bye, Mt.

--
Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be
maintained.