Re: R: R: R: [PULL 0/3] ppc-for-6.1 queue 20210713

From: BALATON Zoltan
Subject: Re: R: R: R: [PULL 0/3] ppc-for-6.1 queue 20210713
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2021 20:59:37 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 20 Jul 2021, luigi burdo wrote:
i have same issue with kvm with only qemu-system-ppc -M pegasos2 -bios
pegasos2.rom --enable-kvm

Yes, OK as it already fails during the firmware then other options may not matter now only that you're using kvm and pegasos2 ROM.

and with this command line that work great on my PC (without kvm of course)

qemu-system-ppc -M pegasos2 -bios pegasos2.rom -device ati-vga,romfile="" -display sdl -rtc base=localtime -drive if=none,id=hd,file=/home/gigi/peggy2,format=raw -device ide-hd,drive=hd,bus=ide.0 -drive if=none,id=cd,file=/home/gigi/Chrysalis_3.15.iso -device ide-cd,drive=cd,bus=ide.0 -device AC97 -m 1024 -netdev user,id=mynet0 -device sungem,netdev=mynet0 -serial stdio --enable-kvm

The above command should be OK but I wonder if -device AC97 works? (I haven't tried it but this AC97 device is emulating an AC97 audio which is part of an Intel chipset and pegasos2 has one that is part of VIA VT8231 that I think has different register mappings so a driver expecting VIA AC97 may not work with Intel one unless it somehow detects that; in other words if sound is not working you can drop -device AC97 and instead look at implementing hw/audio/via-ac97.c similar to hw/audio/ac97.c but maching VIA VT8231 docs for registers, that should make sound work; other options may be usb-audio which does not work with mac99 but did not try with pegasos2 or passing through a real USB or PCI audio device). The other option is -netdev user,id=mynet0 -device sungem,netdev=mynet0 which I think is stating the default as user networking is the default so you could shorten it to just -device sungem with the same result (or several other network devices are available as sungem is usually appears on Mac or Sun machines not as PCI card but if it works then that does not matter). Using the long form may only make sense if you want something else than user, like tap when you need a -netdev option to enable that instead of user. These are just some comments to simplify the command line, not relevant to the problem why it's not working.

about:
So does it stop here or do you get to the firmware ok prompt?
never, with kvm enable no ok promt, without kvm enabled everything work ok (on
G5 and PC).
with kvm enabled the seriel stdio log stop and because of this i check dmesg
where there i found this never ending looping message:
[ 3634.418495] kvmppc_exit_pr_progint: emulation at 700 failed (00000700)
[ 3634.418525] Couldn't emulate instruction 0x00000700 (op 0 xop 896)
[ 3634.418551] Couldn't emulate instruction 0x00000700 (op 0 xop 896)
[ 3634.418577] Couldn't emulate instruction 0x00000700 (op 0 xop 896)
[ 3634.418603] Couldn't emulate instr...

Yes, this happens because it gets an unexpected Program Exception trying to execute something in the ROM that raises this exception which then jumps to 0x700 but there's no handler there which then results in another Program Exception due to trying to execute garbage at 0x700 which then repeats endlessly. The real problem is why we get here, that is the first exception and what opcode caused that. So should find a way to find that out. I'm not sure what works with KVM (TCG just logs the invalid instruction with -d guest_errors but KVM runs the code on real CPU so that will take the exception. If there's no kvm log before the above line and -d int or enabling some kvm traces does not help either than we may need to attach a gdb and break on 0x700 then get a backtrace to find the address it's coming from and see what's there. There's some docs here: https://qemu-project.gitlab.io/qemu/system/gdb.html but basically add -s -S to the command line, then QEMU won't start running but wait for gdb to connect. From another window start gdb and type 'target remote localhost:1234' which should then attach to the guest in QEMU. Then you can examine the VM from gdb or debug it. E.g. set breakpint: b *0x700, start vm: c (for continue), then when you get a breakpoint hit you may be able to get more info with bt (for backtrace) or info registers. The only difference from debugging a normal program is that you won't have the executable so no symbols so you have to write addresses as *0x<address> otherwise it complains about unknown symbol as it tries to interpret it as a function or variable name. (If you do this on a machine that's another architecture like running qemu-system-ppc on x86_64 host then you need a cross-gdb that supports the guest arch but here we're debugging KVM VM on same arch host so the host gdb should work.)

Apart from that you could also try what happens with the sc 1 calls that
is used but VOF when you use -kernel boot.img instead of -bios

i will test kvm with VOF too and report

I think to build last linux kernel just because mine last is 5.04, and im  just
courious if somethig was fixed in last kernel for not make you creazy for
notiing 🙂

You can try. Running the latest kernel is useful if we find something in KVM that needs to be reported but otherwise I'm not sure how much changes were made to this recently so don't think it would matter but testing with latest version is always a good idea to at least not chase already fixed bugs.

Regards,
BALATON Zoltan